Are you looking to buy a gift for your food-obsessed friends or relatives?
Do you need help selecting that perfect gift for a special someone who is into fermentation?
Would you like to share your passion for making sauerkraut with family and friends by gifting them a few prized fermentation gadgets?
Or, perhaps you want to gift yourself that tool you have been coveting but have yet to purchase?
In this 2019 Holiday Gift Guide for Fermentation Lovers, you will find great gift ideas for beginner fermenters and pros alike, from the budget-conscious to the splurge-worthy. Selections range from a beautiful sauerkraut recipe PDF file (a free gift from me to you for the last-minute gift-giver) to the Cadillac (Tesla?) of fermentation vessels as well as links so you can shop as you read.
I personally own and gratefully use just about every item recommended and discuss them each in even greater detail—with product review posts—on my Fermenting Supplies page.
Dive now into my 2019 Fermentation Gift Guide.
- 1. Personalized Gift Certificate For a Sauerkraut Making Lesson
- 2. Fermentation Gift Basket: Sauerkraut, Recipes and Fermentation Weights
- 3. Super-Slick Fermentation Kit for Care-Free Fermentation
- 4. Just The Essentials: Scale + Salt
- 5. Gochugaru, Korean Red Pepper Powder
- 6. Perhaps a Favorite Book? My Top 5 Picks
- 7. Take Fermentation to the Next Level with a Water-Sealed Fermentation Crock
- 8. And To Go Along with that Beautiful Fermentation Vessel…
- 9. More Ideas On My Fermenting Supplies Page
1. Personalized Gift Certificate For a Sauerkraut Making Lesson
If you have already learned to make sauerkraut and would like to share your newly developed fermentation skills with a friend. Invite them to your home for a hands-on lesson on how to make delicious sauerkraut.
To make it extra easy for you, I put together a gift certificate. Just click the double arrows (>>) in the upper right-hand corner of the frame above and select “Print” The gift certificate will look best printed in the “Landscape” layout.
Fill in this gift certificate, put it in an envelope and Voila! you’re done. Well, at least until it comes time to teach the time-honored skill of fermentation.
When you get ready to share your skills, pull together everything you need: the jars, weights, cabbage, and perhaps a bottle of wine and a few nibbles. You could even invite over a few extra friends and call it a party!
2. Fermentation Gift Basket: Sauerkraut, Recipes and Fermentation Weights
Here’s what you could put into a gift basket for that special person in your life:
- Pull together a few sample jars of some sauerkraut you have made. If your friend could just taste some of your homemade sauerkraut you know they would be hooked. It really does taste spectacular! The small 4-ounce (125 ml) jelly jar that I recommend as a weight for first-time fermenters works great for sharing sauerkraut. Pack a few jars with some sauerkraut you already have stashed in your refrigerator.
- Print out the FREE Book Sampler for my book Fermentation Made Easy! Mouthwatering Sauerkraut.
- Toss in a set of glass fermentation weights. One of the key factors for successful fermentation is keeping everything below the brine. A glass weight sits on top of your ferment to hold the packed ferment below the surface of the brine. Below I list the top sellers on Amazon. I have a set of Easy Weights and appreciate how their handle makes for easy removal.
Share my FREE Book Sampler for Fermentation Made Easy! Mouthwatering Sauerkraut. You’ll have to opt-in to receive the PDF since it is too large to load on this page. It will be emailed to you.
Glass Fermentation Weights
- High Quality Materials—Our food-safe glass is lead free and non-porous so it never absorbs...
- Innovative Design—our smart bulge handle design makes it easy to take these weights out of...
- Excellent Unversal Fit—Fits perfectly with typical wide-mouth Mason Jars, making them just...
- 🌶 KIT INCLUDES: 4 BPA Free Water Airlocks; 4 Glass Fermenting Weights; 4 Silicone Grommets...
- 🌶 PLASTIC COLORED FERMENTATION LIDS: [4 colors] Blue, green, orange and yellow. Completely...
- 🌶 WELL MADE & EASY CLEANING: The 3-piece fermentation airlocks are made from PP plastic that...
- Keeps your veggies under the brine and submerged
- Made from high quality lead free, mold free, and BPA free pure soda glass
- Better than ceramic weights. Bacteria cannot hind in non-porous solid glass
3. Super-Slick Fermentation Kit for Care-Free Fermentation
One step up from a glass weight is a complete fermentation set that includes both a weight and a lid for use when fermenting in Mason jars. The weights are designed to hold the ferment below the brine. The lid allows gases to escape so that yeasts and molds won’t spoil a precious ferment.
Here are my five favorites with links below to extensive reviews:
For my Canadian readers who get frustrated trying to find many of the items I’ve shared, please be aware that you can purchase some of the MasonTops products online at WalMart.
4. Just The Essentials: Scale + Salt
The best sauerkraut is made when you can weigh your ingredients and add in just the right amount of salt. Required items?
A digital scale and some iodine-free salt.
Not everyone has a digital scale or that extra-special salt in their home. Help your friend get started on the right foot by gifting them a scale and some salt.
And, don’t forget to direct them to my teaching recipe: How to Make Sauerkraut in a Jar in 7 Simple Steps [Healthy, Flavorful, Easy]
MyWeigh KD8000. Believe me, they will really, really appreciate this gem. It is the Cadillac of scales. I love that it doesn’t automatically shut off and is so versatile. I reviewed the MyWeigh KD8000 scale here.
- PERCENTAGE: Percentage weighing function great for baking and soap making
- MODES: Large, 8000 gram capacity / 4 additional weighing modes: lbs, lbs/oz, oz and kg
- EASY CLEAN: Easy to clean stainless steel platform
I love the depth of flavor that a mineral-rich salt imparts to a batch of sauerkraut. This is the only salt I use in my home and is what was used for all my recipes on my website and in my book.
- 100% NATURAL PINK & CERTIFIED: Our Sherpa Pink Himalayan Salt is Kosher Certified, Non-GMO, and...
- FINE GRAIN: This Sherpa Himalayan pink salt is in our slightly larger than standard table salt...
- TASTES GREAT: Our 100% pure Himalayan Pink Salt is the perfect addition to any meal! Sherpa...
5. Gochugaru, Korean Red Pepper Powder
Gochugaru—Korean red pepper powder—is traditionally used to flavor and add some heat to Kimchi as in my Kimchi-Style Sauerkraut Recipe [A SPICY DEPTH OF FLAVOR!] or Traditional Square-Cut Napa Cabbage Kimchi.
When I made my first batch of Kimchi over 10 years ago, Korean Gochugaru red pepper powder wasn’t readily available, so I substituted red pepper flakes which worked fine, but now that Gochugaru is available in Asian stores and on the internet, I’ve started using it instead of the red pepper flakes and, there is no going back.
Gochugaru is a coarsely ground red pepper with a texture between flakes and powder that disperses throughout your sauerkraut coloring it beautifully and adding a complex flavor not found with red pepper flakes. The highest quality Gochugaru is made from sun-dried chili peppers.
Store Gochugaru powder in your freezer to extend its shelf life.
Here are two popular, high-quality Gochugarus, or Korean red pepper powders.
- Top-quality Korean gochugaru red chile flakes made from premium peppers
- Essential for making the best-tasting homemade Korean food
- Moderate heat
- USDA certified organic 100% Sun-dried (Taeyangcho) Korean red hot chili pepper flakes
- New Harvest every year. Grown in Korea, Processed and packaged in Korea.
- Packaged in HACCP certified safe and clean manufacturing process
6. Perhaps a Favorite Book? My Top 5 Picks
My book, Fermentation Made Easy! Mouthwatering Sauerkraut is a great gift for someone just starting out with fermentation or for someone who has never made sauerkraut.
Not only is it fun to learn how to make sauerkraut, but this probiotic-rich ferment tastes fantastic with any dish or meal, and there are endless ways in which you can vary the flavor.
- Howe, Holly (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 157 Pages - 04/01/2019 (Publication Date) - Library and Archives Canada (Publisher)
Fermented Vegetables by Kirsten & Christopher Shockey is the book I reach for when I get a question from a reader wanting to know if they can ferment beans, cauliflower, basil, okra, or whatnot. It is especially great for a gardener or that foodie who makes regular trips to the farmer’s market and wants to know how to ferment what is currently in season.
Their Fermenting Vegetables A to Z chapter comes in real handy. Just harvested a bunch of beets? After sharing their knowledge on beets, recipes for Simple Beet Kraut, Curtido Rojo, Curried Golden Beets, Beet Kvass and Golden Ginger Beet Kvass with Meyer Lemon follows. Endless inspiration with recipes that work for any vegetable under the sun. Review here.
- Fermented Vegetables Creative Recipes for Fermenting 64 Vegetables Herbs in Krauts Kimchis...
- Christopher Shockey (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
For the person who likes details, historical insights, and coverage of every ferment conceivable, The Art of Fermentation “encyclopedia”—500 pages—on anything and everything that can be fermented will be greatly appreciated.
Author Sandor Katz was instrumental in getting fermented foods on the map. Though his recipes are not often detailed, there is plenty of in-depth information to get you headed in the right direction.
- Ships from Vermont
- Hardcover Book
- Katz, Sandor Ellix (Author)
WECK Small-Batch Preserving by Stephanie Thurow covers preserving not only by fermentation but also by canning and pickling.
I love her set of fermentation recipes and just finished a lunch salad topped with Brussels Sprouts Kimchi. Delicious! And, would you believe this was the first time in my life that I’ve ever tasted brussels sprouts? I can’t wait to try her set of fruit-infused Kvass recipes.
In addition, I’m honored to have my recipe for fermented Thyme and Leeks Paste included in her book.
- Hardcover Book
- Thurow, Stephanie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Ferment Your Vegetables by Amanda Fifer has a wide range of flavorful and well-researched recipes. Sauerkraut Pickled Eggs? Japanese Tsukemono Pickles, Polish/Ukrainian Sauerkraut Steak (Fermented half or quarter heads of cabbage.)
- Hardcover Book
- Feifer, Amanda (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
7. Take Fermentation to the Next Level with a Water-Sealed Fermentation Crock
A water-sealed fermentation crock is a perfect gift for someone who has already learned to ferment. For thorough instructions on how to make the best use of their new fermentation crock, be sure to point them to my recipe, How to Make Sauerkraut In a Crock in 7 Simple Steps [Healthy, Flavorful, Easy]. Here are a few choices.
This Water-Sealed Ceramic Fermentation Crock direct from Stone Creek Trading is handcrafted with the rich, abundant clay by local artisans in the Boleslawiec region of Poland, this crock is crafted by those with 60 years of experience.
In addition, these crocks come with lead-free glass weights – heavier than any other weights I’ve seen – and recipes for pickles and sauerkraut. Impeccable customer service as evidenced in this message just in from one of my readers:
“Well, you were right about Stone Creek. They are the best people I’ve had the pleasure of crossing paths with in a long time. I sent Emily 2 photos of the salt line circling my crock and that was enough for her to send me out a new pot with no other questions asked. I can’t really say enough good things about them.”
Read my in-depth review here.
- 5 Liter (1.3 gal) Stoneware Fermenting Crock featuring a waterseal airlock
- Includes non-porous patented Luna Glass Crock Weights!
- Handcrafted in Poland, Lead-free and cadmium-free glaze
Available in three sizes and four colors, this Humble House crock is a good pick. A 5-liter crock can be packed with 10 pounds of cabbage to make 5 quart (liter) jars of sauerkraut.
- Ferment food the traditional way with our water channel crock jar, lid, weights, and wood...
- 10 in. wide and 12 in. tall; Makes up to 10 standard size mason jars per batch.
- Fill the gutter with water to seal food from contaminants like dust and insects.
This fermentation vessel by Kilner is made from glass so that you can witness the fermentation process in action, an added benefit for those new to fermentation who might be hesitant to trust what is happening inside a standard ceramic crock.
Included in the Kilner Fermentation Kit are 1 wooden lid (with a rubber seal), 1 airlock, 1 bung (for inserting the airlock into the lid), 2 ceramic stones (to hold the ferment below the brine) and 1 recipe and instruction leaflet. Everything the lucky gift recipient would need to get started on making sauerkraut. Except for cabbage and salt, of course. 😉
The size of this jar is listed as “101 fluid ounces” which is about 3 and 1/2 quart (liters). The perfect size for a 5-pound batch of sauerkraut!
- Easily make an array of delicious fermented foods that are packed with vitamins, minerals and...
- Perfect for creating live cultures of sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles and much more
- Easy to use - just add your favourite vegetables, water and salt (see accompanying product...
8. And To Go Along with that Beautiful Fermentation Vessel…
My favorite tool to efficiently slice cabbage, especially when filling a crock. Talked about here.
- Benriner's Mandoline Slicer quickly and easily slices medium-sized fruits and veggies into...
- Made from handcrafted Japanese stainless steel blades and BPA-free plastic; large open handle...
- 4 interchangeable blades (straight edge, coarse, medium and fine tooth); make wide slices,...
And it doesn’t hurt to throw in a pair of protective gloves to ensure some extra safety when using a super-sharp slicing device, like the mandoline.
- Durability with the highest level of cut resistant material available on the market - 4 times...
- Superior grip with a snug fit for small and large hands - made for preparing food or working on...
- Lightweight and comfortable protection without the bulk - awarded with the highest, EN388 level...
9. More Ideas On My Fermenting Supplies Page
If you still don’t know what you want to gift, I have a comprehensive list of fermenting supplies which is complete with product reviews and shopping tips:
That’s it for this Fermentation Gift Guide. Do you have a favorite to add?
Last update on 2020-11-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API